William R. Acorn

William Acorn is Founder and Principal Engineer of Acorn Consulting Services, LLC. For over 40 years, he has provided analysis, engineering consultation and project design and delivery services for building projects including commercial office buildings, healthcare facilities, institutional laboratories, and clean manufacturing facilities for the semiconductor and other advanced technology industries.

“My experience has shown that a project never gets any better than the concepts upon which it is based. Many projects represent the right answer to the wrong questions. This is why I focus on the 5% of the project time and investment that ensures success for the remaining 95% of the project.”

William R. Acorn

Bill’s current consulting activities related to the built-environment include:

  • Project Design Management Consulting
  • Forensic Analysis and Litigation Consulting
  • Mentoring & Advanced Education

As founder and principal of a multi-office, multi-disciplinary design firm providing engineering services on projects throughout the country, he developed successful techniques for evaluating and solving complex project design, construction, and project delivery challenges.

Services provided by ACS range from peer review to conceptual design to development of strategies and programs for expedited project delivery. Bill frequently acts as an owner’s agent and mentor, functioning as an extension of the owner’s project team. On other projects, Bill serves as a subject matter expert assisting project delivery firms in their development of viable solutions. Services provided by ACS help assure the project gets off to the right start and continue through completion and operation to maximize return on investment. Bill’s recognized expertise in this arena includes:

  • Heating, Ventilating, Air-Conditioning (HVAC) and Refrigeration Systems
  • Power and Process Piping
  • Plumbing Systems
  • Cleanrooms for Advanced Technology Industries
  • Compliance with Codes and Standards for Hazardous Occupancies
  • Workplace Exposure to Hazardous Materials
  • Evaluation of the Standard of Care in Design and Construction

ACS provides forensic analysis, litigation consulting and expert testimony in support of alternate dispute resolution processes and the judicial system. We have represented both plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of jurisdictions.

Bill’s pragmatic approach to both project consulting and forensic/litigation consulting is the result of real-world experience and many years as a trainer in professional and academic settings. His ability to explain complex issues in a manner that is understandable to students, entry-level engineers, managers, and non-technical audiences is a key to his success in the consulting environment.

Bill is an Adjunct Professor at the Arizona State University Del E. Webb School of Construction in Tempe, AZ. In addition, he is the founder of CREATE, ACE – Alliance for Construction Excellence and the IAB- Industry Advisory Board, all affiliated with ASU.

Registered as a Professional Mechanical Engineer in the States of Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Washington. Bill is registered with the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying NCEES (Certificate No. 6999). Bill is also a Board Certified Diplomate in Forensic Engineering (DFE), granted by the National Academy of Forensic Engineers (NAFE), and a Certified Forensic Litigation Consultant (CFLC) granted by the Forensic Expert Witness Association (FEWA). Bill is a Fellow in the HVAC industry-leading organization ASHRAE.


We work as a single united team with market leading firms around the world and give our clients the highest quality advice possible.

Start A Conversation